• Manage the preparation of periodic financial reports for management and the finance committee; ensure reliability and accuracy.
• Manage and coordinate the process and design of operating and capital budgets.
• Monitor the annual budget, as approved by the Board.
• Provide oversight and guidance in the preparation of operating and capital budgets.
Primary duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Supervise the planning, preparation, justification, administration, analysis, forecasting, programming and calendar of actions for the annual operating and investment budgets. Support departments on budget related issues.
• Lead the annual audit, prepare work plans and schedule, coordinate audit processes with external auditors and finance staff, and ensure the timely production and filing of all financial reports, including audited financial statements, financial information return and other provincial and federal reporting requirements.
• Monitor actual expenditure/revenue variances from budget, ensuring expenditures and revenues are within approved budget estimates and keep departments informed of their budget status.
• Analyze, prepare and interpret financial reports for operations and capital in an accurate and timely manner for review and support of the CFO and Treasurer and departments.
• Coordinate the forecasting of capital needs, identifying operational impacts, through the development of procedures and the Asset Management Plan.
• Oversee applications for City grants and City programs, ensuring applicable reporting requirements and compliance with agreements.
• Monitor organization’s cash flow projection, update Treasurer of short and long term needs.
• Oversee periodic internal audits to verify compliance with City financial policies and controls
• Provides staff training and development formulation, and
• Coordinate and monitor the related work of financial analysts; including planning and organization.
• Manage employees in accordance with City policy and applicable collective agreements, including ensuring satisfactory job performance, maintaining acceptable conduct and taking appropriate disciplinary action.
• Perform other assigned duties
• Professional Accounting Designation – Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA)
• University degree in accounting, finance, commerce or related discipline.
• Five years of management experience at a senior level, preferably in a municipal or corporate setting.
• Working knowledge of all statutory laws and regulations; ex. Municipal Act, Public Sector Accounting Standards, Municipal Finance, etc.
• Computer literacy in Microsoft, including experience in Excel, Word and Outlook.
• Understanding of municipal governance principles and best management practices.
• Proficiency in spreadsheets, databases, MS Office and financial software applications, knowledge of GP Dynamics is an asset.
• Leadership abilities to manage and guide employees to ensure proper financial processes are used.
• Solid understanding of financial statistics and accounting principles.
• Interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
• Demonstrated knowledge of financial forecasts and diagnostics.
• Strong analytical, reporting and decision-making skills.
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please provide a cover letter and CV outlining your qualifications to:
Email [email protected]
Subject 029-038-2022 Director of Finance
The Corporation of the City of Sault Ste. Marie is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.