The role The Sustainable and Green Finance Institute (SGFIN) is a new graduate-level research institute of the National University of Singapore (NUS), jointly supported by the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) and NUS. SGFIN aspires to develop deep research capabilities in the field of sustainable and green finance, provide thought leadership in the field of sustainability and shape sustainability outcomes in the financial sector and economy at large.
This role is ideally suited for those who wish to work in academic or industrial research in the financial sector, particularly in the area of sustainable, responsible and green investment and valuation. Responsibilities for the role will include designing and developing a framework to distill various insights regarding the company’s sustainability efforts and performance into various metrics that can be further analyzed to support decision-making in corporate, financial and societal spheres.
There are no teaching obligations for this position, and the candidate will have the opportunity to develop their research portfolio.
The successful candidate will have the following responsibilities:
- Design research projects in close collaboration with the directors of the Institute (Prof. Sumit Agarwal / A.Prof Johan Sulaeman / A.Prof Weina Zhang) and Research Affiliates
- Assume ownership and responsibility for the success of research projects, ensuring they are completed on time and within allocated budget, and meeting/exceeding project specifications and objectives
- Participate in pre-project activities such as identifying resources needed to ensure project completion, including staffing and organizational needs of the project team, and preparing high-level project plans with project schedule and resource requirements
- Development of research hypotheses
- Plan and perform the collection and organization of corporate financial and sustainability information
- Plan and carry out the collection and organization of information regarding government policies and regulations in the field of sustainability
- Perform qualitative and quantitative analyzes of existing frameworks, to extend existing frameworks to develop a more comprehensive framework
- Monitor the progress of research projects and provide the necessary interventions to ensure the smooth running of each project
- Manage and coordinate project deliverables, ensuring their quality
- Manage collaborations with research and industry stakeholders, including providing periodic updates on progress and deliverables for grant funding agencies or project sponsors
- Manage industry partner expectations by understanding their needs and providing realistic expectations and scope for each project
- Preparing results for industry communications, presentations and academic papers for journal publications
- For the position of researcher: guide, mentor and supervise research analysts and project team associates
- Work closely with the rest of the SGFIN team to support SGFIN activities and objectives
- An academic background in the following subjects is preferred: finance, accounting, economics, business, sustainable/green finance, sustainability management or related disciplines. A bachelor’s degree is required, a master’s degree in one of these subjects is preferred, with a doctorate required for the position of researcher.
- A basic understanding of the financial sector (banks and other financial institutions), financial markets, corporate financial statements and credit risk analysis is required.
- In-depth knowledge of the research area of sustainable economics or finance is strongly preferred.
- Quantitative analytical and/or financial econometric skills, including knowledge of advanced statistical software packages, are strongly desired, as well as experience with empirical research methods, including developing, conducting and supporting research and analysis of data from research projects.
- Proactive in problem solving.
- Good time management and planning skills with a commitment to delivery.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong delivery management background, with a proven track record in managing and steering projects to smooth execution and on-time delivery.
- Adaptation to change with a positive work attitude.
- Enthusiastic team spirit, autonomous, committed and ready to take initiatives.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills, effective in coordinating stakeholders, promoting teamwork and leading a high performing project team.
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills, as well as strong written communication skills.
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students is one of our top priorities, and the COVID vaccination supports our commitment to keeping our community safe and making NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. . Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interaction with students/staff/audience members. Even for professional roles that can be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presences will be required.
As per Singapore legal requirements, unvaccinated workers will not be able to work on NUS premises from January 15, 2022. Thus job applicants will need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to gain successful employment with NUS .